Soup Diet Basic Recipe and Variations
Our recipe for the Basic Soup yields such a large quantity -- to make sure you have enough to enjoy all week -- that it calls for a 12-quart stockpot for preparation. If you don't have one, not to worry -- the ingredients divide easily in half and the soup can be prepared in 2 large saucepans or Dutch ovens, depending on what you have in your kitchen cabinet.
Cook: 50 minutes
Makes: 28 cups
- 1 lb. carrots, sliced
- 3 med. onions (1 1/2 lbs.), chopped (4 c.)
- 4 lg. stalks celery, sliced
- 2 lg. cloves garlic, crushed with press
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) whole tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 sm. head green cabbage (1 lb.) thinly sliced (6 c.)
- 3/4 lb. green beans, trimmed and each cut into thirds
- 1 can (48 to 49 oz.) chicken broth
- 6 c. water
- Salt and pepper
- 3 med. zucchini (1 1/4 lbs.), sliced into half-moons
- 2 bags (6 oz. each) baby spinach leaves
2. Add tomatoes with their liquid, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Add cabbage, green beans, broth, water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper; heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.
Coffee People, Donut Shop K-Cups for Keurig Brewers (Pack of 50)
3. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high; stir in zucchini and spinach and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
Each cup: About 45 calories, 2 g protein, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g total fat (0 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium.